FISHER COMPANIES HISTORY
The History of Central Concrete and the Fisher Companies
At Central Concrete, we remain true to the same principles on which the Fisher Companies were founded on nearly 100 years ago: providing superior products to our clients, working toward 100% customer satisfaction, putting safety first, acting with integrity, and strengthening our communities. These qualities unite us as one company, and guide every aspect of our business, within each of the Fisher Companies’ operations.
1925: THE COMPANY WAS FOUNDED
The Fisher Companies began as Fisher Sand and Gravel in 1925, within the City of Midland, Michigan. Founded by Ralph and Zelda Fisher, Fisher Sand and Gravel originally started as a small sand and gravel operation, which provided materials to road and underground projects in the Mid-Michigan area. The first gravel pit was at the corner of Gordonville and River Roads. The ponds are still there today.
1925 - THROUGH THE 1940's:
From 1925 through the 1940’s, Fisher Sand and Gravel added excavation work and a ready mix concrete plant to its list of services. The first ready mix plant was located on a rail spur behind what is now Cahoon’s Grain Elevator, on Gordon Street in Midland. In 1946 with the return of their sons, Arthur J., (Bill) and Jim from World War II and the coming of age of their youngest son Ralph Jr. (Bud), Ralph and Zelda purchased a triangle of land from the Dow Chemical Company on Jefferson Street in Midland. Fisher Sand and Gravel was moved to this location in 1947. It remained there until relocating to a new site on Contractor Drive, just off Waldo Road, in 2020.
1955 - CENTRAL CONCRETE PRODUCTS IS FOUNDED
The three brothers expanded the ready mix concrete business by founding Central Concrete Products in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, with Bud Fisher as its President. Since its founding, the company has grown to now include plant locations in Mt. Pleasant, Alma, and Clare, MI.
1957 - FISHER CONTRACTING IS FOUNDED
Due to the heavy and civil contracting segments of the business growing so large, Fisher Contracting was founded in 1957 with Bill Fisher as its president.
1970 - FISHER TRANSPORTATION IS FOUNDED
To round-off the complementary suite of products and services, the Fisher Companies established their own heavy-haul transportation services company in 1970, known as Fisher Transportation. Thus, offering customers a complete solution from product to delivery with all other Fisher Operations. Fisher Transportation quickly grew to provide services outside the Fisher operations, and now serves a diverse base of customers and their heavy-haul transportation needs.
1982 - CENTRAL ASPHALT IS FOUNDED
During the 1980′s, an asphalt division was also created; again to complement the already existing divisions. Joining the Fisher Companies in 1982, Central Asphalt brings a full-service asphalt production and paving company to the table, handling any job from a highway to a residential driveway.
1983 - BAY AGGREGATES IS FOUNDED
In 1983, Bay Aggregates was founded at the site of the old Robert Gage Coal Facility, on the Saginaw River, in downtown Bay City, MI. Bay Aggregates imports limestone and other aggregates by freighter and barge for distribution throughout Mid-Michigan. Today it is located at the mouth of the Saginaw River, providing a reliable, deep-water port.
1984 - MIDLAND ENGINE IS FOUNDED
In 1984, Midland Engine was founded as an industrial and construction engine rebuilder. An authorized dealer for Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Deutz, Perkins and John Deere engines, as well as Allison Transmissions. Midland Engine is also a heavy-equipment dealer selling Hyundai, Bomag, Ingersoll Rand and other major brands of equipment.
2000 - BUCKS RUN GOLF CLUB OPENS
Next, to be added to the Fisher Companies was a championship golf course. Bucks Run Golf Club, of Mt. Pleasant, MI, opened for business in July of 2000. The course was created in what used to be an old mining operation for the company. Those operations halted in the 1990’s – leaving the site undisturbed for almost a decade, until construction on the golf course and clubhouse began in 1999.
2012 - PORT FISHER TERMINALS IS FOUNDED
Continuing with the tradition of adding complementary industries to the Fisher Companies, Port Fisher Terminals was founded. Port Fisher Terminals is a multi-modal port site, offering vessel, rail, and highway transportation services, along with bulk material storage. Located in Bay City, MI, the port is protected by the Saginaw Bay and supported by the Saginaw River.
2015 - FISHER CONSTRUCTION AGGREGATES IS FOUNDED
In 2015, an aggregate mining division was also added; again, to complement the already existing divisions. Fisher Construction Aggregates is an aggregate mining division, which produces and supplies aggregate materials to not only the Fisher Operations, but also area customers and the general public.